top of page
  • Why study in Australia?
    Australia is a lifestyle choice. It’s beauty lies in it’s cultural diversity, high standards of education, warm and friendly people and highly rewarding future employment prospects. This lucky country offers a mix of a healthy study, work and life balance.
  • What is a Student Visa (500)?
    Student Visa subclass 500 allows international students to enter Australia temporarily to participate in an eligible course of study in Australia. This visa allows you to stay in Australia up to 5 years and in line with your enrolment. The type of course and its length will determine the length of stay. Student visa allows you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight once your course starts. The following condition(s) might be attached to this visa: 8104 - Work restriction: 40 hours a fortnight 8105 - Work restriction 8201 - Maximum 3 months study 8202 - Meet course requirements 8203 - Limited study change 8204 - Study limitations 8303 - Not be disruptive 8501 - Maintain adequate health insurance 8516 - Continue to satisfy the criteria for the grant of the visa 8517 - Maintain adequate arrangements for the education of your school-age dependants 8518 - Maintain adequate arrangements for your education 8532 - Maintaining welfare arrangements for minors 8533 - Inform provider of address 8534 - No further stay 8535 - No further stay
  • What requirements do I need to satisfy for an Australian student visa?
    Here are some of the requirements to apply for a student visa: Be enrolled in a course of study and provide evidence Make welfare arrangements if you are under 18 years Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criteria Meet English language requirements Have adequate health insurance Meet the financial capacity requirement (If required) Meet the health requirement Sign the Australian values statement Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused The process may feel complex, we will help you every step of the way with your student visa application and make it easier for you to understand the process and prepare required documentation. Get in Touch now.
  • How much does it cost to study in Australia?
    The cost will depend on many different factors, such as institution, chosen course and the level of study. The list below gives you a broad indication of the range of course costs (yearly) for different types of qualifications. School - $7,800 to $30,000 English language studies - Around $300 per week depending on course length Vocational Education and Training (Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) - $4,000 to $22,000 Undergraduate Bachelor Degree - $20,000 to $45,000* Postgraduate Masters Degree - $22,000 to $50,000* Doctoral Degree - $18,000 to $42,000* * Note: This does not include high cost of delivery courses such as veterinary and medical. All costs are per year in Australian dollars. To convert to your own currency, visit Get in touch and we will help you out!
  • What can I study in Australia?
    Australia offers a diverse range of study options for international students with more than 1,400 institutions and 25,000 courses to choose from. The sky is the limit! if you don't know English very well the best way to start is to enrol with an ELICOS provider and learn the language. Thereon, you can study a VET course or go to a University to study a Bachelor's or a Master's degree. We will assist you in narrowing down your search to suit your area of your study, professional goals and budget. Get in Touch today to discuss your options.
  • What are the steps for applying for student visa?
    We are experts in all issues relating to student Visa. We will be with you every step of the way, so don’t hesitate to give us a buzz to guide you and get you started on your Australian journey! How does it work? Research - Based on your interest and personal and professional goals think about what you’d like to study, the institution you’d like to attend and the city that suits your lifestyle and budget. Start a wish list of your preferences and begin to narrow down your selection. Get in Touch - When you are ready, speak to a counsellor at Trans-Consult Education (TCE). Our counsellor will work through your wish list and all the big and small details to find the best possible fit between your personal and professional goal, your future institution and your area of study. Application and documentation - After we have worked together to choose the best course and institutions based on your requirements your TCE counsellor will support your applications. We take our job very seriously and follow the strictest legal and ethical standards. Your counsellor will contact your chosen institution to to make sure they support your application to improve your chances of acceptance. You will need to prepare supporting documentation to send with your application. The documents vary depending on the course, provider and qualification you're studying for. The most important documents include: Certificates that verify your previous study, including qualifications you already have. Evidence of your English language proficiency. Certificates or documents which verify previous study or work experience if you are seeking course credits. These must be translated into English. 4. Letter of Offer (LoO) - If your application is successful, you will receive a ‘Letter of Offer’. To confirm your offer you must respond to this letter by signing and sending an acceptance of offer back to the institution. Before accepting your offer, your TCE counsellor will read it carefully with you and explain any conditions that may apply. If you are accepted for more than one course or institution, we'll help you decide which option is best for you. Tips: Read the Letter of Offer carefully before you accept it. Make sure that you understand all your rights, including the refund arrangements. Do not accept the Letter of Offer if you are not happy with any of its terms. Keep a copy of the Letter of Offer. You will need this copy so that you are aware of your rights and if you have to make a claim against the institution. 5. Confirmation of Enrolment - Once you have accepted your LoO and paid your deposit you will receive an ‘Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment’ (eCoE). This will outline your course start date, total course fees and how long your course will run for. 6. Visa application - It's time to apply fo your student visa. We are here to help. TCE counsellor will fill out the student visa application, review it and send it. 7. Time for take off - Once your student visa has been approved, you'll buy your plane ticket, pack your bags and get ready for your great Aussie experience. Your TCE counsellor will help out along the way with advice on matters such as pre-departure and post arrival information including exchanging money, insurance, SIM cards and opening a bank account.
  • What English language tests are acceptable for Australian student visa application?
    There are five different tests accepted for Australian student visa applications: International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) Occupational English Test (OET) Cambridge C1 Advanced test
  • What is Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?
    If you are an international student on a student visa it is a condition of your visa to maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia. This means you need to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) while holding a student visa. As an international student you do not have access to Medicare - Australia's national health system for permanent residents and citizens. OSHC assists international students to meet the costs of medical and hospital care they may need while in Australia in both public and private hospitals and medical centres. OSHC also includes ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals. Some exceptions may apply if you are a student from Sweden, Norway, or Belgium. If this applies to you, you may have special arrangements under your own national schemes - check with the Department of Home Affairs to find out if special arrangements apply to you and if you are exempt from the requirement to purchase OSHC.
  • Can I travel with my partner/family to study in Australia?
    Yes! It is possible to apply for a Dependent Visa. You can include family members when you lodge your visa application. For student visas, your family member is: your partner, or your or your partner's dependent child who is unmarried and has not turned 18 years of age. Student visa cannot be granted to your child if they have turned 18 years at the time your visa is finalised. They need to apply for their own visa. You must declare your family members in your student visa application even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. If you do not do this, your family members will not be eligible for a student visa to join you in Australia. Get in Touch and we will help you!
  • What is an expected cost of living for international students in Australia?
    Your cost of living will vary according to lifestyle and personal requirements. Your budget should be flexible enough to cope with unexpected costs (e.g. emergencies or health expenses). In addition to institution fees and textbooks, you will need to budget for general living expenses such as accommodation, meals and entertainment, as well as transport and utilities. The Department of Home Affairs has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa for Australia. As of October 2019, the Australian Government estimates 12-month living costs to be: For students or guardians - AUD$21,041 For partners coming with you - AUD$7,362 For a child coming with you - AUD$3,152 This information is only a general guide to help you estimate your living costs while studying. All prices are in Australian dollars and accurate at the time of publishing. Check out Australian Government's moneysmart website for tips on simple ways to manage your money while studying here. The below costs are an approximate guide to assist you in planning your stay in Australia. Accommodation Hostels and Guesthouses - $90 to $150 per week Shared Rental - $95 to $215 per week On campus - $110 to $280 per week Homestay - $235 to $325 per week Rental - $185 to $440 per week Boarding schools - $11,000 to $22,000 a year Other living expenses Groceries and eating out - $140 to $280 per week Gas, electricity - $10 to $20 per week Phone and Internet - $15 to $30 per week Public transport - $30 to $60 per week Car (after purchase) - $150 to $260 per week Entertainment - $80 to $150 per week
  • Which is the best city to live in Australia?
    What would be my favourite city? A million-dollar question! There are thousands of kilometres of desert, rainforest, mountains, lakes, rivers, roads and beaches that separate each city. Each one has its own USP…Don't worry we can help you select the best city to study based on your course, needs and expectations.
  • What is the weather like in Australia?
    Australia's climate varies greatly throughout the eight states and territories; there are four seasons across most of the country and a wet and dry season in the tropical north. Australia's seasons are at opposite times to those in the northern hemisphere. December to February is summer; March to May is autumn; June to August is winter; and September to November is spring. Plan ahead with this information on weather and rainfall in Australia’s capital cities. Tip: Keep in mind that the further North you go, the higher the temperature will be!
  • How many time zones are there in Australia?
    Australia is divided into three separate time zones: Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Australian Central Standard Time (ACST), and Australian Western Standard Time (AWST). AEST is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 10 hours (UTC +10) Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) use AEST. ACST is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 9.5 hours (UTC +9.5) South Australia, the town of Broken Hill in western New South Wales and the Northern Territory use ACST. AWST is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 8 hours (UTC +8) Western Australia uses AWST.
  • What plug and voltage is used in Australia?
    In Australia, power plugs and sockets are Type I. The standard voltage is 230V and the standard frequency is 50Hz. You can use your electric appliances in Australia, if the standard voltage in your home country is between 220-240V (as is in the UK, Europe, Australia and most of Asia and Africa). If the standard voltage in your home country is in the range 100-127V (as is in the US, Canada and most South American countries), you need a voltage converter in Australia. The Type I plug has two flat pins in a V-shape as well as an earthing pin. If you live in Argentina, China, Uruguay, or in some Pacific Islands, you can use the same plugs that you have at home. If not, you will need a travel adapter.
  • Do I need any insurance other than OSHC?
    As an international student in Australia, you need to maintain your OSHC for the duration of your student visa. However you may also want to look at other types of insurance that may come handy. Travel insurance Even when you have planned well for your holidays within Australia, cancelled flights, lost luggage or other un-planned issues can arise. In such situations, travel insurance can help cover for any missed flights or lost luggage. Also, if you are planning to travel home or another destination outside of Australia during study breaks, travel insurance can help should you have any health related issues as OSHC will not cover you outside Australia. Home and Contents Insurance Home and Contents insurance provides cover for the building you live in and your belongings such as furniture, clothes and appliances. If you rent a property, building insurance is the responsibility of the owner but you may want to arrange contents insurance if you have valuable items you couldn't afford to replace easily if they were damaged or lost. Car insurance If you purchase a car then one of the things you will need to consider is what type of car insurance you may need to purchase. There are few types of car insurances: Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance — included in your car registration cost (except in New South Wales, where you buy it separately). Also called green slip insurance. It covers the costs of compensation claims if you injure or kill someone in a car accident. Third party property insurance — covers damage to other people’s property, including cars, when an accident is your fault. Third party property, fire and theft insurance — covers property damage, and your car if it's stolen or damaged by fire. Comprehensive insurance — covers repairs to your car and repairs to other cars, even if the accident is your fault. It also covers your car if it's stolen or damaged by fire, flood or vandalism. Similar to car insurance, there are insurances available for motorbike and other vehicles too.
  • What kind of transport options are available in Australia?
    Australia has a very good transport network and options available in Australia include buses, trains, trams and ferries. All major capital cities offer excellent access to private and public car services from taxis to hired limousines. Of course, the easy access to transport service and the cost of transport will depend on where you live and the kind of transport you are using. Check relevant state or territory government website such as Transport NSW or Public Transport Victoria for services available, timetable, and the costs associated. Transport Concessions for international students Most states and territories offer transport concessions for international students. ACT The ACT Government provides transport concession to international students. Present your formal student identification card or apply successfully for MyWay Students Concession Card. For more information visit the Transport Canberra website. NSW In NSW, international students are not entitled to transport concessions unless your study is fully funded by specified Australian Government scholarships. International students on an Endeavour Scholarship, an Australian Awards Scholarship, or an International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, are also eligible. For more information about getting around Sydney and NSW refer to Transport NSW. NT In the Northern Territory primary, school students travel free on presentation of a valid student card. University and VET students are entitled to unlimited bus travel for three hours on any scheduled public bus service at a cost of $1.00 with a valid student card. Full details can be found on the NT Department of Transport website. QLD As a full‐time international student studying at a Queensland education institution in a course approved by Centrelink for Austudy, Abstudy or Youth Allowance purposes, you are eligible for concessions on public transport. The Translink website provides full details on Queensland concession fares. SA As an international student in South Australian, you may be eligible for transport concessions on presentation of your formal student identification card. Visit Adelaide Metro for further information on fares and conditions. VIC Students may be eligible for a concession card if they are studying as part of an approved overseas exchange program, if they have refugee status or if they hold an Australian Development Scholarship. Check with your education provider to find out if you are eligible or visit Public Transport Victoria for more detailed information. TAS International students and local students who study in Tasmania qualify for the same travel concessions. For more information on transport concessions in Tasmania visit Tasmanian Government Discounts & Concessions website. WA International students studying full-time in Western Australia are eligible for public transport concessions. For information about current concession passes visit the Transperth website.
  • Can I drive in Australia?
    Driving regulations differ slightly from state to state in Australia and therefore it is important to learn and adhere to traffic rules while driving in any part of Australia. You may find most road rules and regulations are different from your home country. For example, in Australia you will always be driving on the left side of the road. If you hold a current drivers licence in your home country, you might be able to drive in Australia without sitting for any further driving tests. Many state and territory governments require you to get an Australian drivers licence if you are here for more than three months. Visit the relevant state or territory government website below or go to find out more about licence requirements and driving restrictions.
  • Can I work in Australia?
    Yes, your eligibility to work in Australia depends on the type of visa you have been granted. Certain types of visas do not permit you to work at all, some restrict the number of hours you can work per week, and some visas allow you to work full-time. Terms and conditions of your stay in Australia are mentioned in the visa grant notification letter. You can work while you’re studying in Australia. International students are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during study periods and unlimited hours during scheduled study breaks. There are no work restrictions for students completing a masters by research or doctoral degree. Your family can work but not more than 40 hours per fortnight. However it is important that you understand the condition (8105 - Work restriction) outlined on your visa. Contact the Department of Home Affairs or feel free to Get in Touch with us to speak with a counsellor to help you understand your rights.
  • What is Tax File Number (TFN) and Superannuation (Super)?
    To work in Australia you need a visa that allows you to work here. You should also have a TFN. You can apply for a TFN online for free on Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website once you have your work visa and have arrived in Australia. You should apply for your TFN before you start work or soon after. Apply for TFN for free on ATO website. If you're enrolled to study in Australia in a course that lasts for six months or more, you may be regarded as an Australian resident for tax purposes. This means: you pay tax on your earnings at the same rate as other residents you're entitled to the benefits of the Australian tax system, such as the tax-free threshold (or part of it, if you're here for only part of the financial year) tax offsets generally lower tax rates than a foreign resident. Superannuation In Australia, superannuation is a way of saving money for retirement. Superannuation is often called 'super'. If you are working while you are in Australia, you may be entitled to compulsory super contributions from your employer. This is called the superannuation guarantee. The government sets the minimum rate for contributions, called the statutory rate. The statutory rate is currently 9.5 per cent of your ordinary earnings. Ask your employer if your pay includes super. Super contributions are on top of your salary and wages. You may be paid your super money once you have left Australia. This payment is called a Departing Australia super payment (DASP). To see if you're eligible, and to apply for the DASP online or by downloading the paper application form, visit
  • How do I search for jobs in Australia?
    The job market in Australia can be very competitive and your chances of securing a job will depend on several factors including skills, qualifications, field of work and the city of choice. Work experience in Australia is invaluable so if you fail to find a job in your chosen field, don’t worry. Your priority should be on gaining local experience to improve your employability. There are many ways to find work that fit your goals, including: Online job sites such as or indeed LinkedIn Recruitment firms Company's career page Notice boards on campus, shopping centres, community centres and local supermarkets You can find more information on finding jobs here.
  • What are my work rights?
    Everyone including international students and working holiday visas have the same protections as any Australian in the workplace. It is important to know your workplace rights as an employee about things such as pay, working conditions and health and safety Below are few things to remember: Minimum wage: Australia has a minimum wage. You must be paid at least this amount - it's the law! Paying tax: If you are working in Australia, you may need to pay tax depending on how much you earn. Get a Tax File Number (TFN) before you start work. You only need to apply TFN once and it is yours for life! Payslips: In Australia, you must get a payslip within one working day of getting paid. Generally, employees are paid weekly, fortnightly (every two weeks) or monthly. Payslip tells employees if they are receiving the correct pay and entitlements and helps employers to keep accurate and complete records of your pay. Work Hours: As an international student you can work up to 40 hours every two weeks during term time and unlimited hours during holiday breaks. For more information visit Australian Government's FairWork Ombudsman website.
  • What do I need to do before I start a job?
    Steps to follow when you start job: Complete a TFN declaration - Before you start your job, your employer will ask you to complete a Tax file number declaration. Your employer uses the information to work out how much tax to withhold from your wages. They should also provide your TFN to your superannuation fund so it can accept your superannuation contributions and pay the correct tax on them. Never provide your TFN over internet or during job interview and only provide once you have commenced work. You must provide TFN within 28 days to your employer or else employer will need to deduct higher rate of tax from your salary. Tax - Your employer deducts the tax and sends it to ATO. This is called "pay as you go witholding" Superannuation entitlements - Superannuation (or 'super') is Australia's retirement savings system. As an international student or a temporary resident, your employer should pay super contributions for you just as they do for eligible Australian resident employees. It doesn't matter whether you work full time, part time or casually. Your employer must pay super contributions into a super fund on your behalf if you are paid A$450 (before tax) or more in a calendar month and you are either: 18 years or older and work more than 30 hours per week. Workplace rights - Everyone working in Australia has the same workplace rights under the National Employment Standards, including if you are here on a visa. The national minimum wage and National Employment Standards (NES) make up the minimum employment entitlements that have to be provided to all employees. Cash payments and contractor payments - Some employers prefer to pay in cash instead of to a bank account. This is okay, provided they still: deduct tax from the money they pay you give you payslips showing how much tax has been deducted pay super contributions on your behalf (if you're entitled to super). If they don't do these things, you could get less pay and super than you're entitled to. Some employers may incorrectly treat you as a contractor or even encourage you to get an Australian business number (ABN). Having an ABN doesn't make you a contractor. Only people who carry on a business can have an ABN.
  • How do I lodge tax return?
    After the end of the Australian income year (30 June), you lodge an annual tax return to tell us how much income you received and tax you paid. ATO then sends you a notice of assessment and your tax refund if you're entitled to one. If you have earned more than $18,200 you will need to lodge a tax return at the end of the financial year. Individual tax rates can be found here. ATO will check information reported on tax returns against records reported by other organisations to make sure that people pay the correct amount of tax. You do not need to lodge an Australian tax return if: you are a foreign resident and your only Australian-sourced income was interest, dividends or royalties from which non-resident withholding tax has been correctly withheld you are a working holiday maker (417 or 462 visa holder) and your taxable income for the year is less than $37,001. When do I have to do it? 1 July – 31 October is the time period in which individuals can lodge tax returns. To lodge your tax return you can: lodge online with myTax through myGov – this is the easiest and quickest way to lodge complete a paper tax return form and mail it to ATO use a registered tax agent. If you need more information visit ATO here.
  • What kind of work can I find in Australia?
    The flexible hours and large number of opportunities in these industries make them ideal for students: Retail - including supermarkets, department stores, boutiques Hospitality - cafes, bars, restaurants, delivery Farming and fruit-picking - seasonal work Services – childcare, aged care and cleaning Administration and clerical work Tutoring Volunteering and Internships Volunteering is a great way to contribute to the community you live in and to meet people and gain hands-on work experience. To find out more about volunteering visit Also, check with your education provider about internships, volunteering and other work experience opportunities.
  • What can I bring in my luggage?
    Australia has very strict health policies to protect its ecosystem. The main reason for this is that Australia is an island that has been isolated from the rest of the world for many years, so it isn’t immunized against certain diseases and pests that in other areas are considered normal. The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service prohibits the entry of fresh fruit, vegetables, seeds or plants that may carry pests or diseases. If you bring illegal items, they will confiscate them at the border and they can even penalise you, be careful! If you carry any food, medicines or any items subject to inspection, you must declare them. How? On your flight to Australia, you will receive an Immigration card called Incoming Passenger Card. This is when you need to declare everything you consider relevant. The best suggestion is that you don’t bring anything that is prohibited. Check this link for further info.
  • Do I need a travel insurance to travel to Australia?
    Although it is not mandatory, it is highly recommended for your travel period in case of lost luggage, passport or any health scare during your flight. Additionally if you travel with a student visa you will need an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which will start as soon as you land in Australia. We at Trans-Consult Education can help you get your OSHC.
  • Which is the best season to arrive to Australia?
    Anytime! It’s always a great time to move to Australia. Australia is a huge country and the climate varies depending on where you are. It is the only country that is considered a continent in itself. You can find tropical rainforests in the North, snowy mountains in the South-East, and enormous deserts in the centre. Here’s a tip: Keep in mind that the further North you go, the higher the temperature will be!
  • What is the emergency number to call?
    In an emergency, call 000 for fire, ambulance or police. It is an easy number to remember but we hope you never have to use it.
  • How can I arrange SIM card?
    It is best to purchase a SIM card or Australian mobile number when you arrive in Australia, as using your home phone number will incur high costs. You can purchase a SIM card at the airport when you land. There are two types of mobile phone accounts you can choose from: Prepaid A prepaid service gives you flexibility because you control how much you spend and can stop using the service any time. Pre-paid SIM cards are sold in many shops and supermarkets, as well as by mobile phone providers. The set up process is easy. You can top up balance as needed. The top up balance generally expires every 30 days unless used. Your mobile phone provider can provide details on how you can top up your service. Contract (Post-Paid) If you will be using your mobile a lot, and will be in Australia for a fixed period of time for study, a contract might work out cheaper for you. This is also known as post-paid plans. There are many mobile phone operators and you can select from a range of phone plans available based on your needs. Internet Many internet providers in Australia are also mobile or fixed phone carriers, and they offer pre-paid or contract internet plans similar to the above. If you choose a contract service, you will receive a modem, and pay each month for a certain data allowance. Ask the providers you are considering for details of plans that might suit you. These are the main mobile and internet providers in Australia: Optus Telstra TPG Vodafone

Still have questions? Reach out to us.

bottom of page